Is your Husband or Wife Cheating?
The suspicion that your spouse may be cheating is a painful thought. Unfortunately, if you have a suspicion that your spouse is unfaithful, you may be right. According to statistics, wives who suspect their husbands of cheating are correct 85% of the time, while husbands who suspect their wives of cheating are correct 50% of the time. Therapist Peggy Vaughan’s research has suggested that approximately 60% of men and 40% of women will cheat at least once in their marriage. Despite the prevalence of cheating, 70% of married women and 54% of married men do not know about their spouse’s infidelity.
These statistics do not even include nontraditional forms of infidelity. It is estimated that 40 million Americans have virtual encounters of a sexual nature on the internet which many consider to be “emotional affairs”.
What are the common signs of a cheating spouse?
Six of the most common signs of cheating are:
- Changes in intimacy: A distinct increase or decrease in intimacy, affection levels, and/or sexual preferences may indicate infidelity.
- Suspicious phone habits: A spouse that hides his or her phone or is secretive about their call logs and text messages may be cheating.
- Changes in appearance: A marked change in style of dress, intimate wear, and/or personal hygiene can be a clue.
- Suspicious internet use: Much like phone habits, a cheating spouse may be overly secretive when it comes to their browser history and general internet and computer habits.
- Changes in work routine: It may seem like a cliche but a husband or wife that suddenly needs to “work late” or “go to a conference” frequently is a sign of infidelity.
- Changes in bathing habits: A spouse that showers right when they get home, switches cologne or perfume, or changes their grooming habits can be a sign of cheating.
Why Hire a Private Investigator?
There are a variety of reasons why investigating infidelity on your own might not be the best option. For one, it can be both emotionally and physically draining. A well-trained private investigator will find more information in less time and will remain emotionally detached. The validity of evidence is also more concrete when gathered by an investigator. While an upset spouse may capture pictures or video of their cheating spouse, this evidence may not be considered valid by a court of law. A private investigator is unbiased and knowledgeable about family law so their proof will stand up in court.
What does an Infidelity Investigation Entail?
Investigations will vary based on your needs and the private investigator conducting the investigation. However, many times an investigation to catch a cheating spouse will include:
- Discussion with the client – Before an investigator begins their pursuit of the truth, they gather as much information as possible about the spouse in question, including regular activities and hobbies. Though it may be painful, the more information you share the more successful the investigation will be. For investigators, confidentiality and respect are standard.
- Surveillance – A private investigator watches your spouse using advanced surveillance methods to ensure that you obtain the evidence you need. Some of these methods include tracking your spouse’s vehicle, searching their assets, and monitoring their internet activity.
- Presentation of Evidence – Evidence gathered by a professional private investigator can not only give you peace of mind via indisputable proof but will also stand up in court for potential divorce settlements.
What should I expect from an Infidelity Investigation?
Investigations into cheating spouses can range from a couple hours to several months. Regardless of the length of time, when you go to see a private investigator about a cheating spouse you will be treated with discretion and respect. The investigator will listen to your suspicions, take them seriously, and will ask you how you want the investigation to be shaped. You will remain in control of how the investigation proceeds and your professional investigator will investigate your spouse on your terms until you are completely satisfied. You will be able to get regular updates about the status of the investigation and only you will get to decide what to do with the information that is gathered.
Some people seek help as soon as they feel some suspicion that their spouse is cheating. Knowing for certain is important to them before they confront their partner. Others know their spouse in unfaithful but want solid evidence. If worries about your spouse are affecting your relationship or causing you stress, speaking with a private investigator can help.